Are you thinking about setting up your own business? Many people set-up a home office when starting their own business. However, there are still some essentials that everyone needs when working from here. Here is a list of 10 most common.
- Computer/Laptop – Whether you choose a laptop or computer, the option is yours. A computer is the most essential item when setting up a home office, as most jobs are reliant on them.
- Broadband – Email is one of the most preferred communication methods for businesses. Therefore, having access to a broadband connection from home is essential to be able to communicate with suppliers etc.
- Telephone – Those who spend a lot of time on phone may want to consider investing in a business telephone system. Calls to landlines from mobiles can be expensive, whereas taking out a contract with a telecoms provider can reduce business costs significantly.
- Storage – This is when working from home doesn’t always work out well. If you have small children or pets at home, it is a good idea to keep all business files out of their reach. We recommend setting up a good storage system that is lockable.
- Wall Planner – Keeping track of meetings and lists is important in any office. However, when setting up your own business, you’re usually a one man band for a while. Therefore, it is easy to forget about things. Having a wall planner will keep you motivated and organised whilst working from home.
- Furniture – Comfort is essential for productivity. Therefore, choosing the correct office furniture for your home office is essential. That’s means a good quality chair and a desk at the right height.
- Printer/Photocopier – Having your own business can mean a lot of paper work. Therefore, we recommend having a high quality printer. Try and find a model that allows photocopying and scanning.
- Stationery – It’s always handy to have a pen and paper nearby. However, you will also need paper for your printer and folders for your filing system. Other supplies will depend on the needs of your business.
- Energy Efficiency – Every business now has to create a corporate social responsibility report by law. To avoid being fined by the government, use energy efficient products where possible and set-up a recycling disposal unit.
- Personal Comfort – As mentioned above productivity begins with comfort. Design your home office with items that will make you feel more comfortable.
This article was written by Brian Madden; Online Marketing Assistant at Crown Telecom.